Saturday, January 23, 2010

long journey

in a dream I leave this world behind
leave behind my oral fixation
leave behind my sugar addiction
the sense of the mundane

hop on a train to a secret world
where humans are animals again
hair grows long as squid tentacles
everyone wears white
and lights lanterns at dusk
to keep the beasts at bay

I find you at the midway point
in a dim hotel hovel apartment
Illinois or Iowa or Indiana
some forsaken wind swept snow plain
an empty pool, cramped, transitory

we get on the subway without knowing the destination
hair like fishing pole rods held up in the rack
a deer is hit along the way and her mate lags with her
she drags her mangled back legs along
my heart spikes and shoots tears like fire
with a pearl memory from the other world

we make it
to the rough wooden ladders
hidden lanterns and candles stocked for survival
I think I'm pregnant but it doesn't matter
a small ceremony held high up on a ladder
then I put my head on your chest
your heart thumps in my ear

this is the right world
far away from the others
far away from chores bills gym parties work

nobody uses language; we can speak
but it holds no meaning
makes no sense
there's a grocery with pine nuts and oranges
but where did they come from?
nobody knows
nobody cares

and if we want we can take the train back
try to hold the secret like lantern's white flame
but its a long journey

No comments:

Post a Comment